Department of Surgery
Since its inception in 1945 as a part of Gajra Raja Medical College under the disciplined and learned guidance of Padam Shri Dr BNB Rao, the Department of Surgery at Gajra Raja Medical College, Gwalior has witnessed significant progress in fields of infrastructure, academics and surgical facilities. In the course of last 69 years, many legends in field of surgery have learned and taught in this department with a commitment for improvement in art of surgical practice and patient welfare. Presently, the department is aiming for new avenues with commencement of advanced laparoscopic, urological, pediatric and oncological procedures and projects for development of superspeciality units in the pipeline.
1. The Newly constructed air-conditioned burn unit became functional providing modernized treatment facilities to burn
injury patients of the region.
2. The Proposals for establishment of super-specialty blocks for Departments of Urology, Surgical Gastroenterology and
Pediatric Surgery have been approved by the government.
3. Under the newly approved 1000-bedded hospital to be constructed in near future, proposals for establishment of
Surgery Centre, New Burns ICU and New Surgical ICU along with expansion of Operation Theatre Complexes and
Sections with adherence to latest MCI norms has also been approved.
B) Academic Achievements:
Currently the Department of Surgery has services from 2 professors, 6 associate professors, 11 assistant professors and 7 registrars/senior residents. The department is having 10 MCI-recognized seats for post-graduation each year against which 26 post-graduate students are pursuing their MS degrees.
Currently as Prof Dr B R Shrivastav has applied for VRS, department is being headed by Prof Dr Achal Gupta.
Following are the vital academic events in last few years in the department:
1. International CME on “Advancements in Trauma Care” organized by Departments of General Surgery and
Neurosurgery on 13th October, 2013.
2. Training session for clinicians on “Rational Use of Blood Products” on 15th February, 2014.
3. Workshop on Thoracoscopy & Wetlab Demonstration by Prof Dr Arvind Kumar on 2nd March, 2014 organized by Storz
4. “Suture Practicum” Workshop on Suturing and Abdominal Wall Closure by Prof Dr Chintamani on 15th April, 2014 organized by Ethicon Sutures.
5. CME on Total Parenteral Nutrition Therapy on 30th August, 2014 organized by department of surgery.
6. Ethicon workshop on endostaplers on 8th November,2014 in the department of surgery.
Achievements of Faculty Members:
1. Associate professor Dr Prashant Shrivastav has been selected for MCh in Urology at AIIMS, New Delhi which he has
been pursuing it since 1st January, 2014.
2. Assistant professors Dr Anurag Chauhan and Dr Himanshu Chandel were awarded Fellowship of Indian Association of
Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons (FIAGES).
3. Assistant professors Dr Rajesh Prajapati and Dr Ashish Shrivastav have undergone training in Upper G I Endoscopy at
G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi and performing this procedure regularly in the department since then.
4. Following conferences have been attended by the faculty members in last year for constant up gradation of knowledge
a. MPASICON 2014 at SS Medical College, Rewa on 13th, 14th and 15th February, 2014.
b. SILSICON 2014 at MLB Medical College, Jhansi on 21st and 22nd February, 2014.
c. Conference on Head and Neck Oncology at BIMR, Gwalior on 9th March, 2014.
d. Training of clinician on rationale use of blood. G.R.M.C. Gwalior on 15th Feb.2014.
e. Gynaec Oncology submit at BIMR Gwalior on 16th nov,2014
f. asicon 2014 at hyderabad on 25-31st dec 2014.
g. MPASICON 2015 at GMC ,BHOPAL on 20-22nd feb 2015
5. More than 25 publications had been published by our faculty members last year.
Achievements of Post-graduate Students:
1. Our PG student Dr. Yogeshwar Shukla awarded with Best paper presentation and best thesis award in MP ASICON
2. Also 2nd prize MPASICON 2014 is awarded to Dr. Arpit Sethiya.
3. Dr. Nikhil Chopra, Dr. Yogeshwar Shukla & Dr. Arpit Sethiya was awarded first prize in quiz in MP ASICON 2014.
4. There are more than 10 selections in MCh this year from our department.
5. The publications by our students are increasing day by day, we have more than 15 papers and case reports published
this year under the guidance of our eminent faculties.
C) Surgical Facilities:
We are regularly doing every routine and emergency general surgical procedure like laparoscopic procedures using
high definition 3 chip camera, apart from this we are doing,
1. Urological procedures like PCNL, URS, TURP & VIU with the help of advanced urological instruments like PCNL set
2. Surgeries for complex congenital anomalies, laparoscopic procedures and pediatric urological operations are regularly
done in our department.
3. Also, oncological surgeries like radical neck dissection, COMMANDO operations, esophagectomy, WHIPPLE’s
operation are being performed here regularly.
4. Facilities of Upper G.I. Endoscopy, Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy are available now and we are regularly doing these
procedures for diagnosing and treating diseases of G.I. tract easily.
Dr. Achal Gupta
Professor & Head
- Dr. Achal Gupta, Professor & Head
- Dr. Prashant Shrivastava, Professor
- Dr. Anjani Jalaj, Professor (TSP)
- Dr. Sunil Agarwal, Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Prashant Raj Pipariya, Professor (Designated)
- Dr. M. M. Mudgal, Associate Professor
- Dr. Amit Ojha, Associate Professor
- Dr. Anurag Chauhan, Associate Professor
- Dr. Rajesh Prajapati, Associate Professor
- Dr. Manisha Singh, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Chandrakala Dutt, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Mukesh S. Narwaria, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Naveen Singh Kushwah, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Ashish Shrivastava, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Ashish Gupta, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Himanshu Chandel, Associate Professor (Designated)
- Dr. Sandeep Thakre, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Sham Gupta, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Ankit Shah, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Devendra Prajapati, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Udit Bohare, Senior Resident
- Dr.Himanshu Gehlot, Senior Resident
- Dr. Pradeep Kothiya, Senior Resident
- Dr. Rakesh Darbar, Senior Resident
- Dr. Ajeer Ahmad, Senior Resident