The hospital was built out of the trust money of the Late Princes Kamla Raja Scindia-Bhonsle Ranee of Akkalkot. The Lord Linlithgow laid the foundation stone of the building on December 4, 1936. The construction of the building was delayed due to Second World War . It was planned as women and children’s hospital with its own operation theatre, X-ray wing and laboratories. Hospital has also provision for a teaching maternity unit and lecture theatre. This hospital was started with 250 beds and was completed and equipped by 1950. Late Pt. Jawaharlal Lal Nehru, Prime Minister of India on December 9th 1952, opened it. Since then, still it is Gwalior division’s female and children hospital and number of beds has increased. All the facilities with which it was started are still present, however there is formation of new neonatology wing (nursery) and also the pediatric ICU with latest gazette. It has Gynaecology and obstetric wards, Children wards, Children ICU, children surgical ward, female Orthopaedics ward, female surgical and burn ward and female ENT ward
At present the hospital is about 450 bedded and has a pediatric ICU under the Pediatric Department, A Burn ward for female Burn patients under Dept. of Surgery and a sonology section in Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
The building of KR Hospital is build around a quadrangle which has a beautiful fountain and garden in center. The main entrance to the building has a small foyer which has a lift on one side and staircase on other side. The wards can be reached from all the wings upto second floor.