Gajara Raja Medical College was founded in the year 1945, by Maharaja Jiwaji Rao and Maharani Shreemant Vijaya Raje on the occasion of the birth of their heir apparent Yuvraj Madhav Rao Scindia on the 10th March, built in the revered memory of her mother of Maharaja Jiwaji Rao.
In 1942-Dr Bhagwat Sahai, who was acknowledged as the best and most popular physician in Gwalior, was the Medical Superintendent of the J. A. Hospital. He thought of establishing a teaching center in Gwalior. A total sum of Rs. 20 Lacs was sanctioned on the occasion of the birth of Madhav Rao Scindia in 1945 by "Gajara Raja Memorial Trust" for the construction of Medical College. Out of that Rs. 10 Lac were later donated by Late Shri G. D. Birla at the instance of birth Maharaja Scindia.On November 21, 1945, Lord Wavell, the Viceroy of India, on his visit to Gwalior laid the Foundation stone of the college as 17th Medical college of India. The time bound challenging construction was carried out by Mr. Munnalal Misra, a contractor who working day and night finished the work by August 1946.
The Gajara Raja Medical College was inaugurated by the His Highness Maharaja, Jiwaji Rao Scindia, the then ruler of Gwalior state on August 1946, in the vicinity of the temporary college building on the tennis court. Dr. Bhagwat Sahai was founder Dean.The First faculties members are : Anatomy : ProfessorDr. S. C. Guha, LecturerDr. Mahendra Kumar, Demonstrators Dr. K. N. Bhargav, Dr. T. G. Sawant. Physiology: ProfessorDr. A. Subba Rao, Lecturer Dr. S. M. Mira, Dr. H. N. Banerjee, Demonstrators Dr. R. B Mathur, Dr. R. S. Dharkar
This was the beginning of a DREAM BECOMING A REALITY. The work was completed by the end of 1948. Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, the IRON MAN., inaugurated the building on December 5,1948.
Medical Council of India recognized the College from the beginning. British medical Council also recognized the college in 1951. Postgraduate training started in 1951 almost in all the subjects. The total number of students admitted in the 1951 were only five with one in Physiology and four in medicine., later it increased and by 1958 21 postgraduates were admitted. The Dr. Bhagwat Shai Neurosurgery Hospital, unique and only one in the state was started in the year 1978 with separate building and complex equipped with operation theatre, x-ray Department, pathology section, and neurology wards. Dr. R.S. Dharkar, PadamShree; became first Head of the Department of the Neurosurgery and neurology. MCh in Neurosurgery was started in 1995.
On completion of the fifty years another feather was added in the college crown with the inauguration of the new Auditorium; 1200 seated the largest one in Gwalior region which was named behind a person who made this college a reality and was dedicated to the fulfillment of his dream Dr. Bhagwat Sahai Auditorium; a tribute to a man who was behind our college and thus all of us. There was also upgradation of the Library with subscription of the new journals and periodical, provision of the Internet in the library which made every research possible and information under a finger tip. This was done of the efforts of our dean Dr. S. R. Agrawal.
This institute was turned into autonomous institute by the Govt. of Madhya Pradesh in April 1997 and since then it is running as the autonomous body initially under the name of Rogi Kalyan Samiti and later on by the Executive Council of the Gajara Raja Medical College, Gwalior which governs both college and the associated JA Group of Hospitals. The Commissioner of the Gwalior was appointed as the Chairman of the executive body of the Autonomous body and Minister of Medical Education was nominated as Chairman of General Council of Autonomous Body. Under the Autonomous Body the College acquired many new vistas and reahing the further height of fame and achievements.
The efforts infused in bringing the college to this stature, were all too magnanimous and the history of GRMC is replete with selfless individuals who made exemplary sacrifices in raising its stature to one of honor, to one of exquisite temple of learning.