Established in 1946, Gajra Raja Medical College, Gwalior, is the 17th Medical College of India and the first in the state of M.P. Presently It admits 150 students for MBBS, 68 students for post graduation Degree Courses and 36 students for Diploma courses every year. Jaya Arogya Group of Hospitals is the affiliated teaching hospital and has about 1100 beds equipped with all modern facilities.
The college is governed by G R Medical College Society under the Department of Medical Education, Government of Madhya Pradesh. It is affiliated to Jiwaji University, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh Medical Science University, Jabalpur and recognized by the Medical Council of India. The affiliated teaching Jay Arogya Hospital was founded in 1893. Dr Bhagwat Sahai was the Medical Superintendent of the J. A. group of Hospitals in 1946 with the dream of establishing a medical teaching and training center in Gwalior, he persuaded Shrimant Maharaja Jiwajirao Scindia, the then Maharaja of Gwalior for the inception of a college.
A total sum of Rs. 20 Lacs was sanctioned on the occasion of the birth of Late Srimant Madhav Rao Scindia II in 1945 by "Gajra Raja Memorial Trust" for the construction of the Medical College. Rs. 10 Lacs were later donated by Late Shri G. D. Birla at the instance of birth of Maharaja Scindia on November 21, 1945. Lord Wavell, the Viceroy of India, on his visit to Gwalior laid the Foundation Stone of the college as the 17th Medical College of India. Gajra Raja Medical College was inaugurated by His Highness Maharaja Jiwaji Rao Scindia, the then ruler of Gwalior state on 1 August 1946, in the memory of his beloved mother Matoshree Gajra Raja. Dr. Bhagwat Sahai became the founder Principal. This was the beginning of a DREAM BECOMING A REALITY. Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, the then Honorable Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs Government of India inaugurated the college building on December 5, 1948. Kamla Raja Hospital for Women & Children was added to J. A. Group of Hospitals in 1952 and was inaugurated by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, the Honorable first Prime Minister of India. Medical Council of India recognized the College from the beginning. Postgraduate training started in 1951 with five PG students, one in Physiology and four in Medicine. Presently teaching & training is being provided in fifteen Post Graduate curricula and in super specialty curriculum of Neurosurgery.
In 1942-Dr Bhagwat Sahai, who was acknowledged as the best and most popular physician in Gwalior, was the Medical Superintendent of the J. A. Hospital. He thought of establishing a teaching center in Gwalior. A total sum of Rs. 20 Lacs was sanctioned on the occasion of the birth of Madhav Rao Scindia in 1945 by "Gajra Raja Memorial Trust" for the construction of Medical College. Out of that Rs. 10 Lac were later donated by Late Shri G. D. Birla at the instance of birth Maharaja Scindia.On November 21, 1945, Lord Wavell, the Viceroy of India, on his visit to Gwalior laid the Foundation stone of the college as 17th Medical college of India. The time bound challenging construction was carried out by Mr. Munnalal Misra, a contractor who working day and night finished the work by August 1946.